View Single Post
Old 10-06-2017, 01:13 AM   #40

Send a message via ICQ to J-May
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
Please seek education. I used to safely weld fuel tanks on a regular basis. We dry the tanks outs with absorbing mats. Cut down for moto tanks. Run compressed air in the tank for 30 minutes through the fuel line or petcock. This dries out any remaining fuel and blows the fuel vapors out the filler hole. Then we purge the tank with carbon dioxide or argon gas to be doubly sure that all the fuel vapors. Then weld. Fuel vapors explosive. The liquid fuel burns. Eliminate these two variables and all is good for welding. Fuel doesn't absorb into metal like oils.
Read the post and consider the issues on the table. Yes I am aware you can weld on a gas tank, just as you described. But the majority of people who may read this would see "yeah weld it up" and then bam someone's unnecessarily injuried because what they read on the internet and didn't second guess it. martim is looking for a way to fix the tank, and doesn't speak the same language as the guy doing the work, see how things could get alittle out of hand here. So next time, instead of being condescending towards me ;"please seek education", have some respect towards everyone on this form so it can be a place we can all enjoy. Thank you.

Last edited by J-May; 10-06-2017 at 01:14 AM. Reason: Spelling