View Single Post
Old 09-07-2015, 08:14 PM   #82

As always, thanks to Spud and all that posted on doing the preload adjustment. As a big guy, the stock setting had me bottoming the shock with any kind of bounce on the seat. Following the guide posted by Spud, I was able to access the Allen Head screw that was facing rearward by removing the battery. I gave 8 turns to the coil/collar which firms up the spring quite a bit, and I oriented the collar's lock screw toward the left side of the bike so I can now back-off the screw without having to disassemble the side panels and battery.

8 turns feels pretty stiff, but the bike handled pavement great. I think for any kind of off road use, I'd probably back off the preload by 2 turns and get it back to 6 turns tighter/stiffer from the stock setting.

I also changed the oil today (after 58 hard break-in miles) and was glad to have done so. There was what I am assuming to be assembly lube and metal particles around the drain plug, and around the screen filters. This was expected. But I feel better putting fresh dino-oil (Valvoline 4T 10w-40) into the bike, and the bike rewarded me with an easier time finding neutral.

I am loving this bike more and more each time I ride it!