View Single Post
Old 11-01-2016, 08:22 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureDad View Post
.... it "seems" that open to the atmosphere has a downside of increased emissions, but a positive of: lower amounts (by a lot) of fuel in the oil, less viscosity breakdown and better for the engine.
IMO, having the crankcase vented directly to the atmosphere is the best for the engine.

In the October issue of MCN, the article on blowby gases says 60% of those gases are oil mist, which increases the carbon buildup inside the engine.

The TW200 has the crankcase gases go directly into the airbox.

Here's the result: (the photo was taken after I had scraped off about half of the carbon deposits)

This leads me to believe that venting the crankcase directly back to the airbox is the worst for the engine.

I think using the OCS is a compromise, although if the fluids deposited in the OCS drain tube leak out on the ground, it's nearly the same as venting to the atmosphere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureDad View Post
Why did you go back to stock with these readings?
I reinstalled the OCS to the stock configuration because I want to try the higher temperature thermostat, and see what difference that makes.

Depending on the results, I will probably change back to venting to the atmosphere (technically illegal is the US).

jb