View Single Post
Old 09-09-2022, 02:58 AM   #1

2022-1/2 Templar X 6sp review

1st post and all that...

Happy to have found the forum. Spent a couple months lurking prior to joining while researching chondas.

Anyway, Settled on the newest version of the Templar-X for use on rural Iowa gravel. I ordered the bike from PowerSportsMax.com
Shipping was quicker than expected, however, R+L carriers made an appointment to deliver on 8/22 but actually delivered on 8/19 when I was out of state for work. The spouse didn't know what to look for and accepted delivery. Not happy about that and if I would have been home I would have refused delivery.

I now believe that what I actually received may have been somebody else's rejected delivery. It arrived in a beaten up cardboard box and bottom of crate bent up. It was NOT shrink wrapped, much of the internal packaging was intact but very beat up. It had no protective film on any of the decals.

Damage in no particular order:

Both sides of the outer cardboard and inner shipping cage had damage.
Where the handle bar and front caliper was packed was bashed in. The front brake lever was bent, and master cylinder gouged. Starter button switch sticks engaged. The front caliper was scuffed and the rear brake foot lever was bent into the engine case.
The exhaust header pipe bracket has a broken weld.
The forks had not been fastened securely enough and both fork tubes have dings and gouges in them. Missing front axle pinch bolts.
On the other side of the bike/cage, the front wheel had been pushed/shifted into the rear turn signal stalk causing it to split.
The rear wheel rim had a significant gouge along the rim edge and into the tire. The handlebar pad cover is missing velcro and can't be attached.

Once I completed assembly and started break in I found that the rear brake switch is bad and not activating the brake light and the Hi/low beam wires were reversed. Additionally, the owners manual is missing information for this new model and does not provide the wiring diagram that includes the lighting system.

I had no problems with first start up other than the usual very lean settings. I pulled the carb without removing any body/seat/tank/exhaust (easy once you figure out how). Had to do the same thing as Thumper to get the bowl off. Shimmed needle, changed Main jet from 120 to 125 and Idle jet from 40 to 42 for now. Pulled the plug off the mixture screw and discovered it was around 1-1/4 turns out, currently set at 3 turns out. Further uncorking steps are to come.

Other issues found so far include excessive chain stretch at around 50 miles, adjusted and now needs it again at 100 miles. Adjustment slot almost used up and will have to remove links. Chain upgrade will be ordered. LED "Headlight" is laughably useless. Hi/low beam doesn't matter, my sons moped has a better headlight The provided LED bulb is a "drop in" H4 type that may be fine in a different application but it greatly under performs with the provided housing/lens/reflector. I already have an upgrade planned for the headlight.

I have contacted powersports max with these issues and photos and have heard exactly crickets since. Will try to add some more photos later.
Attached Images

Last edited by IA_Grvlrnr; 09-11-2022 at 06:02 PM.