Thread: 1999 GMC Sierra
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2015, 03:23 PM   #7

The original driver's side leaf spring was a little flat, and I'm sure that's why the truck sat a little crooked as viewed from behind. The new springs have plenty of arc, and they're quite similar to each other. They're also quite black, and there's a yellow part number on the bottom side. I think these springs were changed not too long before the truck hit the yard.

It's important to point out that one should never perform a mod like this with the intent to increase the capacity of the truck. You'll still have a 1500 rear axle and driveshaft. I replaced the springs so that the rear doesn't squat as much when connected to my trailer. My truck was already rated for the trailer weight, and I use weight distribution bars.

The truck sits a little higher unloaded than I'd like, but I'll connect it to the trailer this week and see what it does. If it's level, I'll leave it alone. If it's too high, I'll buy some drop shackles and lower it the 2" that it gained in the spring swap. Time will tell.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer