View Single Post
Old 02-09-2018, 01:05 PM   #10

In my area with lots of hills, standard gearing is the max I can go cause not enough power to pull more gearing with hills and head winds. Always down shifting to 5th. My bike does seem to be under powered a little because when riding with other RX3 on Baja or Destination trips I always seem to lack power a little on top end that others have. Going up hills or into wind, they pull away from me. Maybe I've just got more junk on my bike making more wind resistance?
Fuel filter never changed maybe a culprit also. 16400 miles on it. Have new one just need to switch it out.
I can say that when I did the 24hr iron butt 1000 on it and when I was going through the desert in 104 deg temps the motor never whimpered at all. And this was running near wide open on the throttle. My bike seems to go only so fast with throttle 9/10 of the way open and that's all its got at 70-80 mph. I cant over rev it without dropping a gear. But down in the 55-60mph range it runs all day happily.
Anyway , the bike can go all day on the freeway near full throttle as it proved on the iron butt ride. But that was not by choice as I was trying to keep up with the other guys on big Harleys and Yamahas. It will do it but not the best choice for that type of riding if that's all you do.
I don't like doing single track dirt riding with it but I think Joe Martin has proven it can do it but again , not the best choice.
I think this bike was designed to put many miles on pavement and dirt roads at 50-60mph with the occasion blast down the freeway and occasional fireroad exploration. Just my 2, rj