View Single Post
Old 02-08-2018, 09:01 PM   #9

The comparison came out better than expected. All three models have been pretty much in class by themselves. All are great bikes, each excellent in its own way. That made the thinking simple. Much more difficult to compare a DT650, a XR650, and a KLR 650.

A 15-minute WFO run will not harm a RX3. We have about the same body weight and I'd highly recommend a couple or three teeth on the wheel sprocket. You'll probably maintain or gain top end, though closer to redline but not over more often than not, under all conditions except down a 4%+ highway grade. If I lived in an area with good roads close to home I'd maybe add a couple teeth more if the grades and altitude would see benefit. Stock final drive is definitely a bit high for us chubby fellas. A taller, more aggressive dirt tire might justify a couple teeth more than the two situations above, but I don't know if such sprockets will actually fit.

Be considerate that 13-teeth countershaft sprockets do see a marked reduction in chain and sprocket set life on bikes ridden distances on highways. 14 is my personal minimum, 15 is better, but I don't see space for clearances for a 15. Neither can I make the judgement on wheel sprockets to keep the final drive ratio lower even with a 15 teeth countershaft sprocket.