View Single Post
Old 01-01-2018, 12:18 AM   #12

Hellcat update

Hey folks, just thought I’d give an update on my Hellcat if anyone is interested.
When I received my bike, there were two long bolts in a package marked “parts”.
Initially i did not know what they were for but later I figured out they must be replacement engine bolts. I read there was an issue with the engine bolts breaking, so i guess this was their way of rectifying the situation by attaching two bolts the the crate with no explanation of what they were for. The original bolts were marked grade 8.2, the new bolts are grade 8, a stronger bolt less prone to breakage. The top bolt was easy to replace but the lower one required me to remove the swingarm to gain access. So I removed the the rear wheel and swing arm and replaced the engine bolt. I wanted to replace the swingarm axle and the rear wheel axle with Honda Grom parts but none of the Honda dealers in my area had them in stock, I’ll have to order them. The swingarm axle and the rear wheel axle are the same part and cost about $7 apiece so why not. I also am going to replace the chain tensioner hardware with Grom parts because they are junky too.
I also installed a Mukuni VM22 carb. I was going to remove the airbox but I noticed there are slots with rubber grommets on both sides where a tab on the fairing plastic slips into for support, so I decided to leave in on for now. I also noticed there is no EGR system on my bike, I think every Grom type bike I've seen has a hose going from the exhaust port to the intake with a vacuum actuated valve but not on the Hellcat. Cool.

Aside from the things I mentioned the bike seems like it is pretty well put together. If the engine proves to be reliable, I think the Hellcat will be a really good bike. I’m going to put everything back together tomorrow and start it for the first time. I”ll let those of you that are interested how it goes.

Cheers, Scott
Attached Images