View Single Post
Old 07-28-2014, 06:26 PM   #5

I got a TaoTao Paladin 150 and had no issue registering it other than the long wait to get the MCO. I filled out the title and registration form (VSA17A), took it in to the DMV with the MCO and bill of sale, was done in like 10 minutes, no questions. I didn't even need proof of insurance but I did have insurance so maybe they looked it up.

If you have a scooter that goes faster than 35 MPH it must be registered as a motorcycle in VA. Put "MOTORCYCLE" as the "body type" on the vehicle information section (or not, they will correct it regardless).

There is no point filling out empty weight, gross weight, GVWR, or any other weight on the form because they will not put any of that on the title so those fields can be ignored. This one had me concerned because I had like 5 different weights from TaoTao and none of them made any sense. VIN plate says GVWR 75kg (lol, scooter can't support its own weight apparently), MCO says GVWR 230 lbs, TaoTao web site says 300/350 lbs or something, TaoTao rep said 250 lbs for gross weight (or maybe empty). WTF guys... After weighing the scooter I think 230 lbs is actually the empty weight but the other numbers I have no idea. But like I said, none of it matters for getting a title and registration.

Also be prepared to get hammered on the taxes because VA has a $75 minimum now regardless of what you paid. The other stuff was only $40 or so.

The next hurdle will be the state inspection. I think everything will be OK but VA has a bunch of rules about the types of lights and such than can be used and this TaoTao has some funky stuff including headlights that can't be adjusted (normal for scooters? I don't know). I'm also worried they will need to disassemble the rear to check the drum. Also the master cylinder sight glass is not visible on the Paladin so they may have to take the upper bodywork off. I really hope they don't have to do all of that because I just spent days tearing the bike apart and carefully putting it back together. If they take stuff apart I'm going to have to go back and check it again and hope they don't break anything (mostly due to the crappy thread quality and soft metal on these things, you have to be really careful).