Thread: new member!
View Single Post
Old 02-29-2024, 02:13 PM   #8

A few years later! The Tusk DSport is still grabbing the dirt and no flats

But the Storm sat for a couple of months when my son took off for college. A few weeks ago, the ignition switch stopped turning it on. No green neutral light... nothing!

BUT...I could start it with the remote start, no problem (battery good). When you do that, the key won't shut it off either! You have to shut it down with the remote. This clued me in on the likely suspect... ignition switch!

So I finally took it off yesterday and found that the contacts were kind of dirty in there. The key turns the cross-shaped plastic with the copper plates with three bumps. The 4pin harness is connected to the round plastic plate that sits on top. After some clean up with steel wool. I applied dielectric grease and reassembled it.

Name:  contactscleaned.JPG
Views: 17
Size:  516.3 KB

The mounting bracket has the locking pin assembly in it. I initially rotated it the wrong way (180 degree choice, this, or that. Coin toss). So when I tested it, the key would not turn left or right! I pulled it apart and rotated the locking pin drive 180 and put it back together, and that fixed it!

Name:  lockpinretracted.JPG
Views: 13
Size:  643.1 KB

Name:  lockpinextended.JPG
Views: 17
Size:  608.2 KB

Then I put the ohmmeter on it and the contacts are working again. Switched on connects the black to red, and off grounds it out, connecting black and white to green/ground. Connected it to the wiring harness and it is back to normal. Bullet dodged, no parts ordered