View Single Post
Old 05-04-2016, 06:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
That is the holy grail of small dual sport bikes to me; I've been on the hunt for one for a long time.

The frame is what most of the modern Honda clones are patterned after, which means that most of the parts will bolt on. If you wanted a bike with increased suspension travel, you could install the inverted forks and monoshock swingarm from a Lifan (or similar), along with a 223cc engine, replete with electric start. I know the Honda has a certain charm the way it is, but I can't resist tweaking stuff.

The only necessary fab work is to chop the monoshock upper and lower mounts, and weld them onto the Honda frame. I've already mocked up a bike like that, using a similar XR200 frame. If Honda made an XL200 back then, they were rare. I've never seen one.
I am def looking forward to building this bike up. So...by swapping on inverted forks from a hondoid (think thats what you guys call the clones) i would also gain a front disk brake would i not? I am fine with leaving the rear end twin shock and running better shocks on it. Sort of like the old desert racing bikes they used to build out of these XLs. Better forks and brakes up front. But still classic in looks at the same time.
'80 Honda XL185S
'76 Yamaha DT250C dual sport
Baja Wilderness Trail 250
'07 Honda Shadow 750 Areo Trike
'01 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyj812 View Post
You can't pin this one on me, my wife is still mad at me. I don't need your wife mad at me too. LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Disclaimer: The above post by 2LZ is in no way the view of this site, other members or Bruce's llama. It is the opinion of 2LZ and 2LZ alone. ;-)