View Single Post
Old 05-09-2019, 05:40 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperCharles View Post
Well, the 8000rpm book by joe berk says they'll do highway though. I dunno, I guess I'll have to actually ride one to see if it'll be acceptable.

Charles.
Yes, they will; and yes, you'll definitely need to ride one to see if it works for you, considering your speed criteria for highway use.

Personally, I find it capable of highway use, but I ride sedately, without needing to pass everyone in front of me. I pick a speed and stick to it; usually between 55-65 MPH, with little to no passing. I don't have a problem staying in the right lane on multi-lane highways with higher speed limits. If you want or need to ride faster than that, my original recommendation of a bigger bike stands. As to the weight and how it relates to comfort, I find the RX3 to be a lot more comfortable than my 100+ lb. lighter TT250, which in itself is a surprisingly comfortable bike. It has enough weight not to be pushed around by crosswinds and vehicle wind blast as much as a lighter bike, although it is not in the same class as my 1990 Gold Wing at 900 lbs. or so.

Still, it holds it own it own in 55-65 MPH traffic. Above that, a bike with a twin cylinder engine, either parallel or V, is what you should be considering.