View Single Post
Old 03-20-2016, 11:48 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
Ryan called me too. I'm #41 so that means I should see a bike....sorta soon. The next step will be to do the break-in. I understand that the recommended procedure is to stay under 5K rpm for the first 500 miles. That runs counter to what I have done with every other new bike I have bought. I'm inclined to the 'aggressive break-in' school where you try to seat the rings by doing full throttle acceleration in gears 2-5...going to about 6K...and then decelerating with engine braking. This tends to seat the rings nicely. Now, I understand that the RX3 has already been run up to redline by the factory..in fact, up to 84 mph on the dyno. In addition, CSC has already changed the oil so I'm starting with an engine that has clean oil and has already done max performance. With all that said, what's the deal with staying below 5K rpm for the first 500 miles? Exactly what are we bedding in?

Peter Y.
It's very hard to keep this engine under 5,000 rpm. I just vary the engine rpms, and don't run the engine real hard during break-in. Ride the bike conservatively for a few thousand miles before you start cruising for long periods of time at high rpms.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894