View Single Post
Old 10-13-2014, 07:33 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
Obviously, these aren't necessarily all-out dirt bikes, but how do you find your confidence level riding on dirt trails? You might not have anything to compare to, however (i.e. a 150cc street scooter ridden on dirt roads), but for casual riding, does it seem like it was 'meant to be' due to the tires?
Well, to be honest I have only ridden a CT70 somewhat off road besides my quads. I drove the CT 70 for about 10 miles on mostly two track roads last year. I did not really like it too much because it seemed a bit squirrely. Granted, besides the CT 70, my only experience on two wheels is on a bicycle. I really did not like the shifting I had to do with the CT70. Maybe with time I could learn to like it better. I doubt it though, because my quad is also a manual and I still hate shifting it all the time. My wife's quad is a 150cc GY6 and it is a lot of fun to drive. I wish I would have got one for myself. Since I liked it so much I started to look at scooters since they run the same GY6 for commuting and some light trail riding. So far I believe the scooter would do anything I have done on my/wife's quad so far. Watching the videos of the BWS/Zuma being used off road, that I have posted, convinced me that this would be a good choice. It has been mentioned that the BWS/Zuma makes a good off road scooter because of the larger diameter/wider tires and short wheel base. Not to mention that it looks like it belongs there with the external frame, headlight protectors and the hand guards. I did get some odd looks on my trip last week and a lot of double takes. It was quite comical.

I was at first a little spooked on the dirt, but after awhile I was starting to kick it around a bit and it did quite well. I would have no problem running it on forest roads, two tracks, 4x4 trails. I would however be a bit skeptical on some single track trails if there was a lot of low debris because of the transmission being wider and lower at the hub than a chain would be.

Check out the earlier videos if you have not already. The Asians love these things for off road. Here is a video of a BWS 125 and another type scooter doing some single tracking......

Last edited by ghcoe; 10-13-2014 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Added video