View Single Post
Old 01-01-2015, 05:40 PM   #1

The Polar Bear Ride

The Polar Bear Ride is an honor system ride done on New Years Eve or New Years Day. The ride must be at least an hour in duration and pics required. Then buy the patch. http://www.piperspatches.biz/PolarBearRide.html

I was going to do this yesterday, but with the temp hanging around 1F and 35 mph wind gusts, going back to bed made much more sense. Today, the temps were much better but the wind was still there.

12:55, 28/30F. I could never really read this old thermometer.

13:00, I'm off.

13:40, my turn around. Country Donuts in Crystal Lake, IL. Better than Dunkin or Timmy's. Had a cuppa and French donut.

14:02, the corner of Ridge Rd and Springcreek Rd in Barrington Hills, IL. Home of the Horsey Set.

14:29, back home. 35 miles.

Only things that happened that are worth mentioning are the winds gusts that blew across an open gravel pit. Almost blew me off the road.
The other was that I unknowingly left one of the helmet vents open. I wear a Turtle Fur balaklava under the helmet in cold weather and it is quite warm. Warm equals moisture and that moisture was drawn out of the helmet and instantly froze. I was wondering where the ice crystals were coming from on a clear day.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts