View Single Post
Old 11-10-2017, 08:59 PM   #20

75mph is not realistic on any 250 loaded for a trip at high altitude or steep grades at low altitude. 60 is usually doable, if you pack light, but there are grades at altitude you won't even be able to do that.

However, the RX3 is incomparable in a number of ways, assuming you add a couple teeth to the rear wheel sprocket (stock is geared too high) and a 55 watt headlight bulb (stock is 35):

1) With the accessory cushy seat the RX3 is more comfortable to ride than anything in a similar class (honestly, there is nothing else in its class without spending a small fortune), by far. Even a cheap Walmart ATV seat cover makes it as cushy as anything close;

2) All the farkles that cost a small fortune are already on the bike. You may want different details, but most you won't actually NEED;

3) The RX3 is very sensitive to fuel quality. E0 gets about 60mpg loaded on the highway. E10 gets about 50mpg loaded on the highway. That's about 65mph, rolling hills in west Kentucky and northwest Tennessee. Doesn't notice power loss because the bike goes as fast as I want to go even with E10 without full throttle, just use a lower gear.

4) The RX3 has more horsepower than one would expect for its price and purpose, but if you are used to a relatively narrow powerband of a 2-stroke, you'll have no problems.

5) Touring on a small bike requires the discipline to not expect more than the bike is capable of delivering. Light loads, slower speeds, more maintenance compared to bikes 4 or 6 times its displacement. Smell the flowers.

6) The EFI keeps performance up as atmospheric conditions change with altitude and weather.

7) Personal preference: I intend to maximize the brakes before attempting any heavily loaded long trips on steep grades. Cheap peace-of-mind insurance.

Just day rides on my RX3 so far, but I have SS1000, BB1500s, 4000 mile weeks, and lots of shorter stuff on a TW200 with a mod or three, so not really much difference other than twice the cost of an RX3 for back road touring (dirt, gravel, concrete, or asphalt, but a road, not an obstacle course or interstate).