View Single Post
Old 11-15-2021, 06:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy View Post
Holy crap. We are all very different. When mine arrived, I rode it. Even though I had the throttle wound backwards and had to rotate it forward to accelerate. Ha ha ha.

I think I’d actually die if I did all this before riding it.

But I’m super thankful to you for this thread. It’s helping me to get to know the inside of the xpect without having to suffer to see it.

That gas tank rust is pretty concerning. Mine has been rusting a bit in spots because it just spent the past 7 months on the front of an RV continuously traveling. It took a hit but the rewards were amazing. How many people dream of ADV riding in the Colorado Rockies? I got to do that all summer. It was worth the rust.
When, or if, you get your bike into a short break, pull off the tank. Wash the area that has light surface rust with straight Castrol Superclean, and rinse only with a damp rag. Grab an air hose, blow it completely dry, this should easily eat away any “living” surface rust. Immediately follow with some coarse Scotchbrite ONLY where the nasty stuff was growing. Blow off dust, and hit it with a couple spot coats of a good auto grade primer. If all this underneath, you’re done. Obviously if visible, you’ll have to paint the tank. This easily kills surface rust if done quickly, compressed air speeds up the job tremendously. This technique is how we stop rust on new body panels that arrived with surface “cancer” as we call it.