View Single Post
Old 04-13-2014, 11:28 AM   #4

Thank you for that potentially useful tip. I will or I may try that but my handbook is a bit short on information so finding the pilot mixture screw is a bit of a problem for me.
However, I will let you know what has happened today. I've had some luck with the cold start using the Kick Start lever.
What I did was wheel the bike out of my garage so I had a firm bit of ground to stand my feet on and I opened the choke to about 25% as it wasn't stone cold atmosphere. I opened the twist grip about 1/4 of its travel and gave the kick start two good stabs. It started on the 2nd kick and what's more it stayed running. So I gently warmed it up and all was well.

My diffidence over kicking it has probably been made worse by the fact that the manufacturer hasn't put a proper rubber grip on the horizontal pedal so it's very easy for your foot to slip off the pedal and hurt your leg/ankle etc. So I'm going to buy a child's bicycle handlebar rubber grip of small diameter and see if I can make it fit snugly over the pedal to give my foot safer and more aggressive grip.

Anyhow I will try again tomorrow and see if it has solved the problem.
I reckon a cold engine with thick oil takes a lot out of the starter motor to turn it over with all that 9 to 1 compression ratio and this I think may rob the electrical ignition system of a bit too much current, so the spark goes weak. That's my take on it, because it behaved in a way that was totally cured of its stalling when I started it from cold on the pedal.

What do you think of that theory?
So do let me know where that pilot mixture screw is - as I have no workshop manual for this new bike and inspection proves it to be a bit of a mystery in parts.
Cheers
Plado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Welcome!

The key is that your bike will start when it's warm. My guess is that you'd have an easier time with a slightly larger slow jet in the carb.

In the meantime, you could back out the pilot mixture screw by 1/4 turn to see if that helps.