View Single Post
Old 04-12-2014, 04:30 PM   #1

Hi from South Devon County in the UK

Just introducing myself and posting a question about my SkyTeam V-Raptor 250 if I may.
So Hi to all from SW England where we're just starting to get into real Spring weather making new reasons to get out on my new bike and run-it-in.

It's a V Raptor 250 in Yellow. Already I've taken steps to fit mudguard extenders front and rear to protect the muck from the road making a mess of the bottom shock absorber joint as I know how that can dry out and even sheer having had it happen on my Yamaha TDM 850 in the past.
Also I've ordered a pair of better mirrors to replace the rather pathetic pixie ears embarrassing mirrors that came with the bike from the factory.

My problem so far has been cold starting and kick starting. Both electric start and kick start work well when the engine is warm but I'm having the devil of a job starting it in the morning in my garage when it's cold.

I'll just describe what it does and if some kind person here can tell me where to post this question if it doesn't really belong here in introductions threads. I pull the choke full on or half on depending on how cold it is.
I turn the key and lift the side stand. Green light on dash showing. Press the starter and it half heartedly fires and stops. Try again with a little bit of throttle open - same thing seems to "take" then nothing. Adjust choke and try again and sometimes with trial and error various throttle settings and fiddling with closed choke or half open or full open if I'm lucky it fires up and catch it and try to rev it and then it dies. Usually it gets going on about the 6th attempt. That's bad.

No such problem when the engine is warm. Also I fitted an iridium spark plug in the hope it would improve the situation having a fat spark but no change. Kick starting from cold is impossible. Nothing happens and I can't seem to swing it hard enough as my feet are too big to pelt the lever down without spraining my ankle as my toe catches on the footrest. Compression is immense and feels like a 500cc single cylinder.

When I took the factory fitted spark plug out it was a bit black but not exactly wet. I'm sure the guy in the shop set up the carburetor properly with the right mixture unless this was done by the factory.

Anyhow I would be delighted if someone has any tips for how to make it start because when I tow it to a holiday destination and it spends the night on my towing trailer in cold and damp, I can envisage a real problem having to bump start it, with my wife pushing me to get some speed up.

Surely it should fire up more easily than this when cold?
Thanks for your help.
--
Plado