View Single Post
Old 07-05-2023, 09:20 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldenslow View Post
Somehow I would prefer a rider learn to actually ride the bike, rather than modify the bike to make up for their lack of skill. Managing the clutch is an essential skill, not something to avoid...
It is less about the clutch, and more about his poor balance.

After months of off road riding including driving on the road to the trail, he does fine. But whenever he drives slow, he just isn't too coordinated so his foot goes down to the ground. He does this at stop signs too, but always uses turn signals and he is a pretty good driver. This is just fine when we are on the trails too, and I couldn't care less if he puts his feet down when he is in a parking lot or negotiating slow speeds in traffic. It is fine with me if he puts his foot down. But the State police tester insists that drivers can creep at low speed and slip the clutch and balance with feet on the pegs. I disagree with this requirement!

Gearing it down will help prevent stalling (I think this concern is distracting him), and he can concentrate on balance.

I have never observed this thing or felt like it was an issue, but he just isn't that good. Dropping the gearing will help him get through the test, and won't affect his overall skills. He needs that endorsement on his license for insurance and so he can move on!