View Single Post
Old 03-15-2022, 03:58 PM   #1

Tao Tao DB17 supermoto build.

Ok, So last week, I was perusing craigslist, and happened across a dirt bike for $100 in Jacksonville, Fl. For that price, I wouldn't mind making the 2 hour drive, even if the bike didn't work. If anything, it would be spare parts for all the other bikes. I hit the guy up, and he says that someone is looking at it tomorrow morning. I told him I'd be down there that night to buy it. He agreed, and by 8PM, I was the new owner of a DB17.

At first, I figured it would be a good bike to teach friends on, and have a spare to go hit the trails if anyone else inadvertently decided to come along with us last minute. But then, my son asked me to ride motorcycles with him. That made me come up with this idea. He and I can run drills together, and ride on the mini track together as this will be the only bike that fits me well enough, and is small enough to not be out of place on a track that small.

So far with the build, I've collected some 12" supermoto mag wheels from amazon (same as the ones on TBolt, but without the brake rotors and sprocket). A 39 tooth sprocket, a 4 pot brake caliper, and some Kenda Kwick KD1 tires. I need an adapter to use the brake caliper, and may use one of my knock-off brembo RC19 brake master cylinders.

Next on the agenda is to clean and troubleshoot the bike, and why it's not running. The bike may get some of the bits and bobs that I bought to upgrade the RFZ and the mototec. After that, the fork may need some addressing. It used to belong to a kid who, very obviously, beat the mess out of the bike. I've never seen a fork leak oil, and have a VERY slow rebound. Since the amazon forks are reasonably priced, I was actually thinking of going with a shorter fork and shock. I can find the right sized DNM shock I want that has the heavy spring I need. I'd like to get the DNM fork, but it's hard to find here in the states.

I'll post pictures of everything once I take a few more, and resize them (or host them).

If you've ever done something like this, or have any suggestions, feel free to chime in.