Thread: Winter Project
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2016, 01:52 PM   #57

Make sure you keep a good "Air Tool Oil" around for that nice IR impact

(long story short) My dad had a bunch of 20+ year old (top of the line/name brand) air tools that barely worked... he thought it was his 10 year old air compressor and was about to go out and spend a few grand on a new air compressor and all the upgraded wiring/fuse box in the garage for it... add some air tool oil to them and all was well at the cost of 50 or so cents

Long(er) story...

Well I pull out a bottle of "Air Tool Oil/Lube" (B'laster brand <- link to their product/website) and ended up reviving them all by the end of lunch time... I just pulled the trigger and filled the tool with a good amount of oil (probably a *tablespoon or more worth in each tool) and put them down so they "stood up" at a slight angle to not leak any oil out or drain in any way and help fill all the nooks and crannies to clean/lube the parts. About 20 or so minutes later after we had lunch, we went back and attached the tools to the air compressor to clean the gunk/oil out (be prepared for a mist of oil )

Wish I got a pic of my dads face when he heard/seen the revived tools in action. His impact hammer that wouldn't remove a 15 ft lb torqued bolt was now zipping off 150+ ft lb axle nuts almost the second after you pulled the trigger

Moral of this story 'children'... Spend the $4+ on a bottle of Air Tool Oil to clean/Lube your air tools... you only use a drop or so before and after use and it will save you big $ in the long run

*You won't need to use as much oil as I used, if you are just maintaining the tools, just a drop or 3 of air tool oil will do. Revival of tools is a different story

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.