Thread: Dads’ ATV
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2023, 01:26 PM   #13

Good lord. I despise having to fix other people’s so called repairs.

I pulled the front wheels off this morning to service the front hubs. Take a gander at the calipers. Look at the inner pads.

There are no inner pads, just the eyelets. The rest of the pad had been cut out with an RA grinder. And the piston is riding on the rotor. A complete set of front and rear pads are on the way now. After seeing that cluster, I went to service the front hubs. That’s never been done. It was a cussfest getting the caps off. Then there was no oil in them. Luckily, the bearings are okay. The hubs call for the Polaris special hub oil at an OMG price, or Type F auto trans fluid at a Wally World price. Type F it is. Cracked that bottle open and it was 1972 again, when I was swapping out the Merc-O-Matic in my 1965 Marauder that I bought from my neighbor for $25. I thought gear lube smelled bad.

As frustrating as this is turning out to be, I’m glad my Dad gave it to me. If he’d managed to sell it and there’d been an accident because of those brakes, the shitstorm would have been horrible.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts