View Single Post
Old 08-13-2021, 07:09 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperCharles View Post
Right right. But what does this diagnosis mean? Bad 02 sensor or bad maf/mat or something else?

Bike was running lean, not rich. Big flat spots. But then it was idling at 2500-3000rpm.

Charles.
It means exactly what it means, nothing more and nothing less. I know, not super helpful, but you have to take these things exactly at face value.

In your case, the O2 sensor is outputting a high voltage, what voltage exactly I can't say without a multimeter or an oscilloscope, but definitely more than .5 volts if I had to guess, since .45 indicates an "ideal" combustion mixture. This could be because the bike is genuinely running rich, which causes the O2 sensors to output more voltage, thereby signaling the ECU to subtract fuel via the short term and long term fuel trims. If so, that could be causing your lean condition and weird high idle. No way to know for sure until you get your diagnostic stuff, set it up, link up to the bike, and see what the ECU has to say. I just received mine yesterday, by the way. I haven't had the ambition to work out in the garage due to the heat and humidity, so I can't say yet whether or not it actually works. I also need to get one of my old Windows 7 netbooks upgraded to Windows 10, so that I can run the diagnostic software.

When you get yours up an running, the HUD ECUHacker software will come in very handy, since it will display those data PIDs mentioned, allowing you to see exactly what the ECU is seeing, which will help you decypher what is going on. When you link up, check the short and long term fuel trims - yours should be negative if the ECU is seeing a rich condition from the O2 sensor. Also, look at you MAP sensor values, since manifold pressure is used as a surrogate for engine load; high vacuum, which occurs at idle, causes a low MAP sensor signal to the ECU, which will in turn cut fuel, since the engine is not under load.

Note: A vacuum leak can throw off the MAP signal, so be sure to check for intake manifold and throttle body vacuum leaks before you go and condemn your existing MAP sensor as bad.