View Single Post
Old 12-15-2023, 09:52 AM   #6

FamilyGoKarts or Motobuys might also offer them.

Personally, I prefer a carburetor. I want to avoid the nightmare troubleshooting with no support. I'd rather have control over air/fuel mixing and a carb is easy to tune. EFI runs too lean for me.

I have been lookin' at the carbed TM38, but really wanted a KAMAX 250MT. It's a Chinese 2 stroke built on a Yamaha 230cc power valve engine clone. I just couldn't convince myself to order one directly from the factory. You can't count on the shippers.

But I finally found a 2 stroke... a nice deal/closeout on a leftover 2020 KTM 250sx with a liquid cooled 249cc engine.

Name:  LeftEngineCover.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  176.5 KB
Name:  RightEngineCover.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  206.0 KB

The bike weighs under 220 pounds. It has Brembo hydraulics (including the clutch), braided stainless lines, 4 piston front, and 2 piston rear calipers (Brembo), Takasago wheels shod with Dunlop Geomax tires, an x-ring 520 chain, massive ultralight pneumatic forks with over 12" of travel, linkage rear suspension with long travel. It came with spare jets, a spare needle with different taper, 2 alternative power valve springs, an air pump for the front forks, complete printed manual book, and a stand!

It cost me a little more than the TM38 (but more than a $3000 discount below original MSRP). That's a long list of high end components, and the center of gravity on this bike is a few inches lower... no cam, no valves. It is a monster

I added this to my signature a couple of days ago- just one line, so no one noticed

ring ning ning ning... ring ning ning ning

Last edited by Thumper; 12-15-2023 at 05:46 PM.