View Single Post
Old 01-03-2018, 09:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
I guess their riders need the experience of Dakar, but it is a shame Zongshen isn't up to the task of producing an engine that can compete.

Woner what's holding them back?
Coming from a background of amateur desert racing and one team run at the Baja 1000...

There are a ton of little things that experienced teams know and inexperienced teams have to learn for themselves. The best preparation, bike, and skills in the world still have to manage a thousand details that can make or break your race.

My first trip to the Baja 1000 was a real eye opener. I had been dreaming of participating since I was old enough to ride a tote-goat. The top level teams are working towards this race year-round; they live and breathe it. It takes a dedication (and a large checkbook) that most cannot fathom. We had a lot of fun and took some lumps learning our way as a bottom tier privateer team. An experience I will chersih forever, but any future trips to Baja will be as a spectator only. Much more fun.

Zongshen's engines are likely not the problem; getting an experienced *team* working together on all aspects, including bike setup, may take them 4-5 years. Sometimes one year isn't long enough to incorporate all the learnings from your last attempt. Maybe they decided to take a more long-term approach and have a stronger showing next year as they build towards a more successful charge in 2019? 2020?