View Single Post
Old 11-21-2022, 10:59 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
I like the ZS172FMM-3A (5-speed) for it's simplicity, and for a dedicated offroad bike, it's adequate. But the 6-speed version with counterbalancing is also available for about the same cost. Amazon has at least one source for the 5-speed, and ebay has a few sources including the 6-speed.

I can hear the counterbalancer linkage in the 6-speed whining (not loud, but audible). I am sure it is normal. That extra gear is useful, and the counterbalancing is nice for road use, but the 5speed might be a better choice for an offroad build. The choice is not that easy for me

As you can tell by the triangular right case shape, and the absence of a kick starter, this is the 6speed. It even comes with a gear shift and a starter. The real benefit of paying the additional ~$450 (more than the cost of a head) is that you can do a complete bench build and swap it in when you are ready. And the head in the complete engine includes the cam/rockers/camchain sprocket/camchain...

Attachment 27891
Attachment 27892
I definitely see your point Thumper. And that’s just a darn good deal on both those engines! I really don’t see how they can make, market and sell those engines that cheap. Hell a comparable Honda engine would be 4 times that amount.