View Single Post
Old 01-13-2015, 07:14 PM   #1

Why no Honda Trail 110 clones?

As I was riding my 2009 Kymco People 150 home from Hilo on the highway, I came upon a small motorcycle riding on the shoulder. Turned out to be a bike I've seen around a few times. It's the later version of my first motorcycle I got back when I was 8 years old. A Honda Trail 90. This one I saw was, I believe, a CT-110, as I could tell it was a later model.

Now, I happen to know that a mid 60's Trail 90 is capable of hitting about 57 mph (statute of limitations long expired now!) if it's in street gear. On this island, one of these makes a lot of sense. We have LOTS of gravel and dirt and embedded rocky roads. No freeways. Main highways are posted 50-55, and they have very wide shoulders for moped riders, pedestrians, bicyclists. 50+ years ago, I never bothered checking gas mileage, but I bet a good running Trail 90 would get what, 90 mpg? And, they have a pretty good following too.

So, why no Chinese clones of the Trail 90/Trail 110? I know about the SYM Symba and the BMS 110cc Metro. And the CT-70 clones (which I do like). Someone like Skyteam could make them using their current 125cc engine that they used in the TRex, CT clone, and the monkey bike models. Some decent suspension travel, a solo seat with sturdy rack, maybe an attached spare gas container (like the CT-110's had I believe). A real front fork, rather than the Earles type, or leading link type front forks. Kick and electric start. Center stand.

I bet they'd sell!