View Single Post
Old 04-19-2024, 08:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
Nope. Been eyeing the heck out of it. Bought an air stapler and some shortie staples. Kind of putting it off until a second set of hands wanders by. I haven't done exactly a seat like this before but I've done enough other stuff I'm pretty sure I want two hands on the material and a third on the stapler.

BTW, I have some stainless MIG wire but it's a bit large. Plus I was lazy and didn't want to change over. So I've welded mine up with 75/25 gas and regular .023 wire. Proper and correct? No, but it seems to have worked. So far at least. I think I'm the opposite of most welders in that I feel I am better on thin materials than I am the thicker stuff. No doubt that helped me. These pipes are very thin.

I have a fair bit of practice welding thin tube with gas. So I'll probably try that with some tig filler. I've done 4130 work on aircraft fuselages. You can stick some SS with regular wire. 304 I think is one. The weld won't have the same corrosion resistance as the parent metal, but it won't fall off.

I would definitely advise a second pair of hands when tackling the seat. It is a handful for one man.