View Single Post
Old 01-26-2019, 12:01 AM   #17

Didn't do much today, but made some discoveries, both good and bad, and made some mental planning headway.

Discovery #1 - ...this one is all my fault. The flange on the throttle body doesn't line up to the 190's manifold bolt holes. I checked the 125's manifold and sure enough it bolted up and fit perfectly. I should have asked for the clamp mount TB. Heck, the 190 even came with a flange-to-clamp adapter for the carb! Oh well, mistakes just mean you learned something new. I can still drill and tap new holes in the 190 manifold, so all is not lost.

Discovery #2 - The throttle cable that came with the bike, the choke cable that came with the bike, the throttle cable that came with the 190, and the throttle cable that was harshly salvaged from my scooter either don't have enough cable throw or don't have the correct barrel-end. I kinda expected to have to do something to the throttle cable since I'm going from a carb to TB. Tomorrow I will probably trim the sleeve on one of the throttle cables carefully with a dremel and find some way of making a crimp/termination on the sleeve end.

Discovery (more like a dream project) #3 - If I put an ABS-style slotted rotor on both wheels, put new rearsets on with a sensor in the linkage to the shifter, and convert to ride-by-wire, I could have a crom with traction control, launch control (kinda pointless on a bike), power modes, ABS, and quick-shifting up and down with auto-throttle-blip. I think I just wet myself.

Activity #1 (and only) - Wired the 190 stator output into the 125 wiring harness. The black/red wire is/was the power supply for AC-powered CDIs. The one that came with the aliexpress kit is DC-powered. I will be keeping the 125 harness 90% as it is, most of it is lighting-related. I'll run the aliexpress-ecu/microsquirt harness separately. I'll start out using the aliexpress one to see if it is a viable option for a cheap EFI kit. Then I'll go and wire in the microsquirt harness, which will take considerably longer than putting in the aliexpress one. I may even have to cannibalize the aliexpress harness for all the connectors, but not before I at least try and crack the case open and see what is in there.
Attached Images