View Single Post
Old 05-11-2015, 11:13 AM   #24

Be careful what you ask for. 8 inches of suspension travel adds ~1.6 inches of ground clearance and seat height, contributing to the top heavy feeling of other adventure boats. Think KLR, Versys, Strom, and about any BMW GS other than the original 650 single. All of these bikes borrow from racer suspension technology to try to create what is essentially a dirt road tourer. Such faddish engineering does not provide good results. Back in the olden days us old farts raced everything with 5-6 inches of suspension travel. We went a LOT faster than any Cyclone will ever go (140mph was a competitive speed) on 5-6 inches of well controlled suspension travel.

For adventuring I'd rather have a well controlled 5.5 inches of travel with the corresponding lower center of gravity since I generally ride at slow-down-and-smell-the-roadkill speeds these days. After all, that's what an adventure bike is for.

If you prefer dualsport riding, pretty much a play racer with lights, the Cyclone is the wrong bike for you. Get yourself something with a chassis designed for less weight and longer travel. There are a plethora of such bikes available form a variety of manufacturers. I'll happily putt along on my TW or Cyclone with 5-6 inches of suspension travel and let the play racers with their 9-11 inches of suspension travel pass. I'll generally catch up to them when they crash.

My opinion is trying to turn the Cyclone into a dualsport bike will ruin the unique character of the bike.