View Single Post
Old 02-14-2017, 09:59 PM   #63

Ok, after pondering over this thing a lot over the past few months. I have decided i am going to essentially resto mod the bike. By that i mean it will be keeping its stock engine but will be upgraded to 12 v via the methods discussed here. I suspect i can probably find a small 12 volt battery that i can lay flat under the seat similar to what Spud did on his XR. Worse comes to worse i end up adding an adjustable R/R to it to keep from blowing the headlight as that seems the be the only "Gotcha" i see when reading up on converting bikes of this engine family (XL/XR/CB) to 12 volt. Plus it has already been confirmed by our fellow CB riders that it is simply a bulb and battery change. Already seen a few methods that will allow me to adapt modern Dual sport headlight/number plate assemblies to the bike so that helps a lot. There is one headlight made by UFO i keep looking at called the Oregon. It is a dual sport light with signal lights built into it. So more then likely this will be the headlight i end up using. Granted it is only a 35 w headlight so it will probably be about as bright as the original 6 v headlight. Maybe a bit brighter due to being 12v. The 12v conversion is mostly being done to make it easier to service the bike in terms of items like the bulbs.

'80 Honda XL185S
'76 Yamaha DT250C dual sport
Baja Wilderness Trail 250
'07 Honda Shadow 750 Areo Trike
'01 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyj812 View Post
You can't pin this one on me, my wife is still mad at me. I don't need your wife mad at me too. LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Disclaimer: The above post by 2LZ is in no way the view of this site, other members or Bruce's llama. It is the opinion of 2LZ and 2LZ alone. ;-)