View Single Post
Old 03-12-2023, 09:40 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLsior View Post
Wherever you are in the world you can guarantee there's a rowdy drunk British guy...

Electronica has always been niche... but its influence on mainstream 'top 100' music runs deep.
True on both accounts. Ha ha.

The latest round of electronic music from the last decade completely took over the top 100. For quite a while.

Even well-established artists pulled in the sound that was coming out. You remember it. Lots of drops. A lot of use of the compression tool in Ableton Live. 808 drum sounds. Square wave synths and emulation of analog sawtooth synths. Even rappers were using this stuff for a while.

The entire sound of the music for the 2010s was derived from electronic productions and artists routinely went from festival stage to number one songs.

I can remember talking with one of the guys from the Chainsmokers on an occasion and they commented on my Instagram here and there. Then they became #1 artists.

A lot of people rose up like that in this recent burst of electronic music.

In that Video I showed above of ultra Miami you can see Martin Garrix. He’s talking about how he was just at ultra one year enjoying it in the crowd, then the next year he’s playing the main stage. And then soon after that he became I think a number one artist. At least top 10.

I really liked the whole tropical house thing that Kygo brought to the front as well. I went to see him on New Year’s like the first year anyone had ever heard of him. Pretty tiny show at Liv in Miami. But outside. At the fountaine blue. I thought it would be more of the festival crowd but it wasn’t. It was like being at a Beatles concert. There were these girls everywhere just screaming and crying for this guy. I had no idea he was such a ladies man. Ha ha. Never seen anything like that in person before. He came on after The Weekend, who was the opening act. That’s how long ago this was.

And remember some of those women that used to get involved in the electronics scene? Beth Orton and Liz Phair? I absolutely love Beth Orton.