View Single Post
Old 04-21-2024, 03:21 PM   #11

I see great looking 4 valve heads showing up as aftermarket kits for the 172FMM. Are they also available for the CG clones (200,230)?
Obviously, they require OHV setup which is available for the 230. Is there an OHV 200??

I bought a brand spanking new red Honda 1982 XR500. OK, it was the only color available

I think is was about $1800 for the XL500. I had placed a deposit on that street legal version, the XL500 in Albuquerque and they sold it on me over the weekend! I ended up with the XR for the same price that had been sitting next to it by the parts counter. It was supposed to have more horsepower, and it was a little bit lighter. I should have insisted on a full refund of my deposit and just walked out, but I had hitched a ride and the ride was gone. So I rode the "off road only" XR 120 miles North back home.

It did have a brake light and headlight and I managed to plate it in a Northern New Mexico County. I bent the plate half round and mounted it to the rear fender!

Both versions of the bike had twin header pipes merged into one as they past the right side of the engine. Yes, 4 valves with individual exhaust ports.

They both also had an automatically engaging compression release valve that made it easier to start. It was a real mountain goat and wheelie factory. Fun-a-gathump! No catalyst yet.