Thread: Winter Project
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2015, 07:52 PM   #17

Got some stuff done today on the little tractor.

Amongst the walnut shells, mud dauber nests, cob webs, and dried up crud, I found an engine. Hood and deck are off. The deck is going to need some serious sheet metal work and lotsa welding. The short block is in the process of being pulled. Carb and cylinder head, along with some other bits, went through the ultra sonic cleaner. I had to cut the belts off and found all the idler and tension pulleys rusted solid.

Found the fuel tank to be beyond my willingness to repair, so ordered a brand spanking new one. Also ordered a gasket kit for the engine and a rebuild kit for the carb.

The little bugger is a lot older than I thought. 1968/9 and the engine already had the Briggs & Stratton electronic ignition upgrade. Toro spec'd it.

I stopped at pulling the engine because I need a puller to pull the drive pulley from the shaft. All my pullers are in my box at the shop. So a trip was needed to our favorite store, Harbor Freight, for some new pullers. (how many times were variations of the word 'pull' used in this paragraph?)

Probably will have the engine off and in the back of the pick up before it's turkey time.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts