View Single Post
Old 06-26-2017, 03:24 PM   #16

So all, Put the TAO 250 n 150cc to the test...

Just back from Pittsfield NH Trails and I use the term "trails" loosely, with the rhino and 2 sons 150cc Bulls,,
wanna hear lessons learned??
lets start with the trails, NAAASSSTTYY, definably huge inclines with jagged rock trails n 1' of mud and puddles to say the least, logging roads would have been a walk in the park and almost nervous my 12yr old wasn't going to be able to deal with the terrain and being able to hold on n brake the unit if needed, but oh well, what good would it be if the ex didn't bring me to court over this as well! , these trails were far far from riding through the pastures as on the brochure. Yes, it was fun..and yes the machines did just fine.
What went right;
a) The fuel being ethanol free was perfect so they started every time in all weather conditions, even after I flipped mine by hitting a rock going uphill then in a rut coming down, but it started right away.

b) The battery being sealed was a huge win win, strongly suggest if you are going ton these type trails.

c) The chain came off my sons 150ccbull, just to find that a main 24mm? frame bold loosened badly and let the chain release by causing the chain tensioner bolt to move and have play in it, then strip the threads clean with the movement now allowed on it,,so, when they say check EVERY THING for tightness after each ride, they mean it. Getting new 8mm tensioner bolts and red lock tight. PLus throwing the tools away, not even good for IKEA furniture tools right in the trash, they didn't fit and stripped before the bolts I was using them on did
!
d) snapped off rear red light due to the rocks kicking up everywhere, new light ordered as this was also full of water? oh well.

e) and now the squealing winding noise from the front end of mine n second sons atv, found the tire when turning,, the bearings were dried n fried from going through the water and heated up from the ruts n hills we went through everyday. New bearings ordered and easy enough to change, but learned that new bearings that fit our units are minimally greased right from the get go, so they air gaps between the bearing balls, so everyone please remember to grease the bearing routinely if water and mud are what you ride in even somewhat, you'd be surprised!
so overall, they ran great, if I greased the bearings and checked the bolt tension on EVERY bolt, and god don't forget the main frame bolts, and chain tension at the end of each day, everything would have went perfect.
And the trails were on a scale of 1-5, a solid 4 as far as terrain goes so I don't blame the tao at all, I didn't get past second gear 99% of the trip, mostly in 1st most of it, all hills/rocks/ruts/mud/ect...but the unit pushed me up the hills without issue.
That was my soap box, and oh ya one last one, I'm repacking the new bearings to assure no air gaps between the bearings balls with Mobilith SHC 460, that'ill learn'em!
I'm going to pretend that no one knows all this stuff already so I don't feel bad.
P