View Single Post
Old 09-23-2023, 08:11 AM   #5

We FINALLY got to take the rolling hotel room out for a few days.

The Rt.66 trip wasn't going to happen this year so we opted for just a couple nights in S.Dakota that Mrs C picked out. She soon learned that 8 hours per GPS translates to 10 hours in real life.

Buster was a lot more laid back, too.

Pros. Beats the hell out of sleeping on the ground. Midday A/C. Easiest trailer I've ever backed up, even with Mrs. C 'helping'. Can take a shower. Easier to set up and take down than our pop up was.

Cons. 9 mpg. With holding tanks and a water heater, more maintenance. Being new, more 'strange noises' that Mrs.C feels it's necessary to wake me up to check out. Not tight spot friendly.

We stopped a few times for road construction. Buster was just happy to look out the windows.

The Ural, being a slow beast, has me appreciating the 'Blue Highways' over the interstates, so we opted for US and state roads on the return trip. Much more enjoyable albeit a longer drive time-wise.

The low point, though, was at our final gas stop on the way home when I mis-judged and caught the waste water tank drains on a concrete abutment at a pump and ripped them off.

I was pissed, but an old guy(probably younger than me) came by, put his hand on my shoulder and told me I wasn't the first guy to ever do that. He did the same the first time he filled up his motor home and hit the abutment with the car he was towing.

Insurance is now involved.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts