View Single Post
Old 11-20-2022, 09:41 AM   #36

The engine has the potential for making more torque and hp. If I can find the time this Winter, I will work on the head. I got a bit set for the Dremel to do the porting. It has been sitting there for 6 months!

I have also been looking for a compatible headpipe with a resonator (and no cat). They make them for the CG clones (ZS167FMM). I don't think these will fit the ZS172 clones.

Megadan and many others have install 4 degree (or other) timing advance key as well. KTM and Husqvarna engines are already significantly advanced, and lower advance keys are available for them (1 degree, 1.5 degree, etc). I have a timing light somewhere. I'd like to shoot the timing on the Temp X and find out what the OEM advance is. I had installed a dyna2000 on my first gen bandit so I could select advance settings. This kind of setup would be much easier than changing timing keys to explore the effect of advancing timing. I would like to use timing advance, but no more than needed to get a boost in power to complement the porting/exhaust mods. A new carb might make sense at some point as well, but the OEM smoothbore Youall has been adequate for the unmodified engine.

Finally, you can buy the 5speed and 6speed versions of this ZS172 for about $500. Maybe the best approach is to swap in a new stock engine and get it working, then begin all of the modification on the partially broken in, proven good engine I got with the bike. Or just modify the virgin new engine. Not sure which approach would be best.