View Single Post
Old 11-05-2016, 04:45 AM   #2

I have now test ridden the bike for about 200 miles, and I am very pleased with the performance of the 21-inch front wheel. I installed the larger front wheel to improve the off road handling of the bike, and to gain a wider choice of tires for the front wheel. However, I also discovered several additional benefits from this modification. The entire suspension now performs significantly better, both while riding on pavement, as well as riding off road. The forks absorb bumps, potholes, and trenches much better. In addition, raising the front of the bike has also improved the performance of the shock absorber. Also, the saddle seems to be more level, and more comfortable, now that the front of the bike has been raised about 1.5 inches. Finally, I also gained some additional ground clearance.

Installing the 21-inch front wheel has raised the saddle height a little. However, I can still get both feet flat on the ground, even with my 30-inch inseam.

The RX3 originally had a 15-inch rear wheel. Installing a 21-inch front wheel has more closely restored the original geometry of the bike to match the larger, 17-inch rear wheel. As a result, the bike seems to track a little more stably at highway speeds. In addition, the larger front wheel more easily surmounts off road obstacles, and also allows the bike to turn nimbly during slow speed maneuvers.

The original side stand is still usable, but the bike does lean quite a bit to the left. Therefore, I do plan to raise the side stand about 3/4-inch.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Last edited by SpudRider; 11-05-2016 at 05:41 AM.