View Single Post
Old 09-01-2023, 10:16 AM   #13

Errr, in the picture of mine the FRONT brake is for cosmetic purposes. I went from a spool hub like 15 years a go with the idea it would be nice to have a bit of hill holding ability with a front mini brake. Never did hook the cable up though. One day I was going for a ride and it wouldn't roll out of the garage. Turns out the mini brake shoes had debonded and fell off the backing plates. So I tossed them and since then the front brake has REALLY been just decorative. Been riding with only a rear drum since 1987.

I got in a kickstart contest at a meet once. Came in second behind a guy with a Panhead. Other than being an easier bike to start his main advantage was he had a kill switch where I had to turn my key off. Beat me by two kickstarts in a 60 second run. That was long time ago and I'm sure I was a lot healthier. But still today, every once in a while on a hot start it will kick right off with barely a touch of the kicker. Makes me grin like a possum every time.
Mine's an XLH so is supposed to have an electric starter also. Never did. I bought a used starter some 30 years ago. Never put it on the bike and don't even know if it works. I have it though.