View Single Post
Old 08-31-2023, 01:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsride View Post
Thanks for sharing that 2LZ. I think you're right about point #1. I guess I never really thought about it like that. Surely they didn't move Motorcycle production to the back of a bowling pin factory. . I've been looking around to see whats out there. I'm going to snatch one up sooner or later.
LOL! I forgot a couple things.....

7- The rear drum brake is for visual, cosmetic, purposes only. Even after I had it turned, then ark'd the new shoes myself, it would either barely slow you down, or go into a complete, unannounced, lock-up. Nothing in the middle, ever. You have no idea how many times I went skidding past turns or driveways, sideways. Thank the HD gods for the front disk on the '74.

8- The Ironhead is known as the Harley-est of the Harley line-up back then. Just like the Siamese cat is the "cattiest of the cats". If Harley's were hard to start, the Ironhead was by far the most temperamental of the lot. It didn't matter which carb, plugs, jetting, or air filter I ran. It would decide not to start and flood whenever it felt like it.
Kick back? Oh! Even when I slightly retarded the timing after changing it over to electronic ignition. One time I was under the garage door firing it up. It thought it was a great idea to try to stuff my head through the door above. Mind you, that's the ONLY time the kick start ratchet would hang on through the entire stroke. I thought I was going to need neck surgery after that one. I swear, I heard the bike chuckling to itself after that incident.

I could go on and on and on. In short, my Ironhead was like the girl Rob Thomas sings about in the video. She's so mean......but you can't help yourself. That's an Ironhead.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350