View Single Post
Old 08-30-2023, 01:42 PM   #9

Late to the party here.

Rode my 1974 IH to hell and back multiple times. Almost two decades. My brother in law now has it and still rides the piss out of it. Here's what I learned from that experience.

1- AMF bikes are fine. It's a myth. They are still built by the same people. My old AMF IH STILL has original clutch, primary, and bottom end in it. AMF saved Harley Davidson, and they lost their financial ass keeping them afloat. The average Harley rider should get on their prayer rugs and bow in the direction of AMF every day.

2- The old joke is true. I'm proof.
"You can always tell the Ironhead rider at a party. He has a limp or a cane."
The IH had THE WORST kickstart mechanism ever built. HD would be sued for it in today's society. MY XLCH had the higher compression pistons, as well. Nothing like putting your entire body weight into one leg.....just to have the mechanism jump out of its ratchet half way through the down-stroke. That's when your knee folds backwards and the soft white underbelly of your leg hammers into the top of the shock, creating chicken skin.

3- The rubber intake o-rings are garbage. Change them over to the rubber bands immediately before you melt-down a piston. Don't ask me how I know.

4- The swingarm bearings constantly loosen up. Nothing like having an extended front end and your bike is flexing multiple inches in the middle, while flying into a corner. Makes for quite the rodeo moment.

5- Yes, it will leak. Even if you shut off the chain oiler. Get over it.

6- Absolutely I'd buy another one. The bike had more personality than any bike I've owned.....but it will have an electric start this time. One bad knee and one hernia (yes, hernia) is enough for me.
Attached Images

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350