View Single Post
Old 11-15-2021, 08:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExMxer View Post
When, or if, you get your bike into a short break, pull off the tank. Wash the area that has light surface rust with straight Castrol Superclean, and rinse only with a damp rag. Grab an air hose, blow it completely dry, this should easily eat away any “living” surface rust. Immediately follow with some coarse Scotchbrite ONLY where the nasty stuff was growing. Blow off dust, and hit it with a couple spot coats of a good auto grade primer. If all this underneath, you’re done. Obviously if visible, you’ll have to paint the tank. This easily kills surface rust if done quickly, compressed air speeds up the job tremendously. This technique is how we stop rust on new body panels that arrived with surface “cancer” as we call it.
Good advice. After seeing these pictures, I’m sure I will pop the tank to check. I’m talking about rust in a lot of places. I have some on the swing arm. A little bit on the handlebars where there is a nick in the coating. The chain. That’s probably my fault. Ha ha. Just hard to think of lubricating a chain when the bike is sitting on the rack on an RV driving around