View Single Post
Old 07-21-2019, 01:09 PM   #67

Angry Swing arm zerks

Swing arm bearing zerks.

The Rhino uses caged needle bearings on the swing arm but they aren't well sealed and not well greased from the factory. Also the inner race is just mild steel which doesn't hold up well, especially when exposed to water and dirt. I installed zerk fittings so they can be greased without disassembly.

The needle bearings have a hole for grease to enter, and a groove so grease can find its way to the hole even if the bearing rotates. The zerks need to be installed about 1/4 inch from the ends of the swing arm tube so they line up with the hole in the bearing. The swing arm tube has a thin wall so there isn't much room for threads, but its enough if you're careful. Facing the zerks forward works best for my quad but mother position would probably be best if the foot wells are still in place.

I also found that a washer needs to be added so the race tube/spacer can be clamped tightly by the frame to prevent it from pivoting on the bolt instead of the bearings.

A couple O rings can be used to cover the spaces between the frame and swing arm to help keep out the dirt and water.