View Single Post
Old 11-18-2017, 04:44 PM   #12

A loaded RX3 weighs close to 450+ pounds easy. It will plant any tire as long there is not too much air pressure. Over-inflation does messy things, any surface. Not enough air and things loose stability.

Anywho, gravel over hardpack is a problem for everyone. Seen a GIXXER with track tires loose it in a slow speed turn with a few pieces of gravel on concrete. Messed up a pretty bike. Bigger tires with low inflation wrap over gravel and stick to hardpack, and skinny tires just skid.

Softpack requires aggressive tread so rocks fit between knobs. Knobs still reach over and around, gripping the softpack, often gripping the rocks and forcing them down into the soft pack for extra traction. Lots of racket when gaining speed with a front knobby packed with rocks wedged between the knobs. Typical fronts are not aggressive enough to do that, no matter the size. Knobs are too small and too short. I run the TrakMaster rear on the front of the TWs. Like rails on any terrain, 28psi on pavement, 23psi on dirt. Just an annoying wobble at high speed, but does not affect handling. Not much of my riding is gravel over soft stuff. Maybe if I had a lot of the same as you I'd feel different. I remember a lot of gravel over soft (sand) in Australia, though, but bike was heavily loaded, the wide tires did not sink as badly (only 4 of 8 riders who did not go over the bars at least once had fat tires, 4 with 21s all went over at least once, all bikes were TWs), and the gravel in the tread did provide the ability to turn. Turning was difficult in spots without gravel because the front just washed out, controlled with a little counterweighting. Better than the 21s, which had a habit of starting to wash, then when the riders counterweighted, digging and stopping the bikes really short. Flying Ws are worrisome when so far from help as we were, and years before cell phones. Egads! We did some stupid things.

Those who change heavier bikes to wider tires generally play a few minutes, then pull up beside me at speed and grab a handfull of front brake. Then they giggle like little girls. That much difference. Most folks I know with 650s and such keep the stock 21 front for day rides with no loads, and a 110 or 120 on an 18 or 19 for longer trips with heavy loads. There is a difference, and the right wheel and tire makes a good day better. Time and place for everything under the sun.

By the way, most folks I know who have tried both on the same bike use a much more aggressive tread on the 21, so the comparison is not valid. Could different treads have affected the outcomes of your experiences?