View Single Post
Old 07-03-2013, 12:41 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
You're a tortured artist, aren't you? That sprocket cover looks as if it was cut on a milling machine. Those tubing bends are beautiful; do you have a mandrel bender?
Thanks for your kind comments but it actually looks quite grewsome in the flesh! I just used a hack saw and barrel grinder to do the casing. The bends are done with a Hilmor pipe bender similar to the one pictured below, for the heavy duty hydraulic tubing it can be a family effort with the my good lady and kids hanging off the frame whilst I hang off the end of my trolley jack handle like a gibbon in a tree.

It all got very busy at the end of last week getting ready for the race meeting and the last of the parts I ordered arrived just in time. We had a good laugh on track and once again battered the bodywork bouncing off our sparing partners, really need to get some video. Loads of teething troubles with new parts and set up issues but the 18t front pinion and gear ratio change worked very well with no problems.

Before the meeting I changed the exhaust from a stock 400cc CBR to a 600cc Micron performance exhaust with a 35mm outlet. I did this because the old exhaust was getting quite broken and the new one was given to me. Being much less restrictive I suspected a jetting change would be needed and was indeed not wrong. On our first out lap it felt a bit gutless and got very hot, the plug had a tinge of white around the shoulder of the electrode so I went on the hunt for a bigger jet. We had a 120 in there (Mikuni VM27) and all anyone could come up with was a 150! it was worth a go as the sun was beating down and everything was hot, and my Zonger was gonna cook on that 120. with the 150 the engine felt less strangled but as you would imagine it got half way up the rev range and started to splutter and was avoided by a short shift in every gear. By the end of each session it had surprisingly almost cleared though. Eventually found a 130 jet which I think is still a little lean but it got us through and we finished 5th, 4th and 3rd respectively in our three races despite not being able to find 5th gear half the time.

Back soon to address some of the issues.........

Last edited by Jibberwobble; 07-03-2013 at 11:03 PM.