View Single Post
Old 06-26-2013, 11:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Do you mean the sprocket cover? I'd just remove it completely; that's how we do it on dirt bikes.
You know what, thats a bloody good idea!

As it goes I will have to stick with it for now for safety reasons, My fully enclosing bodywork is not built yet and I have some very temporary bits of chopped up second hand fibreglass on there. Eventually the seat unit will go all the way up and over the engine enclosing the chain all the way from front to back, right now it's exposed at the front which is a bit iffy really although my legs have survived a couple of chain breaks and a derailment.

To get an idea of the riding position kneel on the floor with your knees 18inches apart and your toes pointing at the floor and your butt sat 6inches above your heels. The chain passes about 1 1/2 inches below your knackers and 3 inches inside you left thigh. In an accident it would be very easy for a flailing limb to say a little hello to the front sprocket and have a little go on the roundabout!

I've done a quick mod to get me by for now so we'll see how it goes this w/e.

Cant find a good photo of the seating position and chain run just now but you sort of get the idea from this

So with the 17t sprocket roughly placed in the cover you can see the clearance situation

And the mark on the inside of the cover, I think this happened on a joining link break. We now have a new chain and will be rivetting it. There were various other issues causing chain troubles and most of the worn out and poorly set up parts have been replaced with new now. Axle, bearings, chain, front and rear sprockets, break disc and carrier all replaced.

Chop chop!

Very thin peice of Carbon sheet is now giving me another few mm of clearance.

And with the 18t in place it all gets a bit tight but I think just about doable.