View Single Post
Old 04-15-2024, 11:52 PM   #9

I moved the JJH needle to the number 4 position or one notch towards rich. After doing so, I could not get the idle to come down below 2000 rpm, so I went back to the 38 pilot. Massive improvement. I will bring the main jet back up to 105, possibly 108 and I think it will be dialed.

I'm not trying to drag race it. Someone on these forums told me to do this test, I did not come up with it all on my own. Point being, it's running lean and I struggled mightily to understand where/why. With the 40 pilot being too rich, the stock needle positions didn't make much difference at all. Changing to the JJH gave me more positive feedback where the idle is concerned. Then I remembered looking at the plug when I had to find TDC to change out the head gasket. The plug showed rich, which it had never shown before. After putting on the new head gasket and running it a bit, I decided to change the oil. The plug showed lean, like it always did. This confirms the pilot was too rich because I mostly idled it and shut it down over the winter. I did run it a few times, but mostly idled and shut down.

Current settings on Nibbi PE28FL:
Pilot: 38
Needle: JJH in #4 position
Main: 100
Elevation: 6,824'

"If there were more bloody noses, there would be less wars." - Hagbard Celine

"Someday, after mastering the waves, the winds, the tides and gravity, we shall harness for God the energies of love and then, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire." - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin