View Single Post
Old 09-04-2017, 08:29 AM   #3

At risk of entering oil recommendation territory, I believe it would be difficult to find any 5W-40 non synthetic oil. Not sure why CSC would recommend this for break in.

I do think using non-synthetic oil for first couple of oil changes is desirable. I have often read that synthetic oils may inhibit rings from "seating in" properly during the break in period.

So I think 10w-30 non synthetic would be the way to go.

Your Royal Purple break in oil would probably be OK, but there is a second possible issue. As you may know, automotive oils are not recommended for motorcycle applications since they may not work with oil-bath clutches. If the Royal Purple does not meet JASO requirements, it may/may not be the best choice for a motorcycle. Admittedly this may be picking nits.

I second Peter's suggestion for Shell Rotella. Rotella T4 is non-synthetic and available in 10W-30, and meets JASO requirements. And its inexpensive. A gallon will get you through two oil changes with a bit left over.

CSC informally recommends 15W-40 for the regular oil. Rotella T4 has you covered here as well, although you could go to T6 synthetic if you prefer. Last I checked Shell has not listed JASO for its T5 semisynthetic Rotella, so that may not be a best choice. (Though in fact I am running T5 in my RX3 with no issues. I plan to switch to T4 at the next change.)

Of course, many many other good options. Rotella, however, has a good track record in motorcycle applications, judging from many internet forums, and its inexpensive.