View Single Post
Old 12-29-2017, 10:17 PM   #105

Got my vm26 today. I opened it up to clean it out. The machining is quite good. Looks sturdy. The needle was on the richest slot. I put it in the middle. It has 20 pilot and 100 main. I turned the idle mix out 2 turns. Being a bigger carb, it was a little tricky getting it mounted. Threw a foam filter on it and started kicking. I smelled gas right away and had to give a shot of either to get it to start.
I kept it alive with half choke. The idle screw seems to not do much. I got a idle reaction when I snugged up the ferrul on the throttle housing. It still pops and snorts like before. BUT it sounds different. It sounds like it real rich. It will load up and pop, then sound ok for a moment, then sound blubber. The idle is not racing, so I don't think I have a vacuum leak.
I think it's pulling gas from the main. If I give throttle, it clears up. BUT if I let it drop, it's back to weird idle
Another thought is perhaps the idle mix is too far out. I have it 2 out.
Since its very difficult to adjust mounted on the bike, I shut it down for the night.
Tomorrow I will turn the idle mix to 1 and 1/2, see what happens. If that doesn't do it, I'll drop the needle to the second slot
I'm running non-ethanol gas.i also have a shot of seafoam in the tank.
Thoughts?
1972 Honda xl250
2x early 90's Honda rf600 parts bikes
more mc junk laying around.